Proe.deli specialises in gourmet flatbreads inspired by Moroccan and Cuban flavours. You’ll find them at festivals and food markets, but they’re also available for personalised catering; they work from your kitchen or do a set-up at the venue. But that’s not all they got cooking!
Before lockdown, you had to wait for the weekend to enjoy their food, but that changed when they launched their freezer-friendly flatbreads at the beginning of June 2020.
Don’t let the idea of frozen fool you. It’s packed with flavour and freshness. I was surprised by how delicious it smelled when I opened the packaging. Who said flavour can’t be vacuum-packed and frozen? And it contains no preservatives or added sugar.
Proe.deli currently has five flavours you can choose from:
- Moroccan Lamb: tomato base, slow-cooked lamb, roasted butternut and peppers, red onion, and creamy feta with turmeric and ginger hummus, chermoula (relish), and dukkah (nut and spice blend).
- Moroccan Chicken: tomato base, slow-cooked chicken, roasted butternut and peppers, red onion, and creamy feta with turmeric and ginger hummus, chermoula (relish), and dukkah (nut and spice blend).
- Green Goddess: tomato base, falafels, roasted butternut and peppers, red onion, and creamy feta with turmeric and ginger hummus, chermoula (relish), and dukkah (nut and spice blend). They also have a Vegan option available.
- Cuban Pork: tomato base, slow-cooked pork, roasted apple, fennel, and feta cheese with honey mustard, herb dressing, and toasted sunflower seeds.
- Mexican Chicken: tomato base, slow-cooked chicken, pineapple salsa, jalapenos, and creamy feta with guacamole, herb dressing, and toasted sunflower seeds.
Living a gluten-free life? No problem. They also have gluten-free options available.
QUICK AND CONVENIENT
These freezer-friendly flatbreads are like buying a chef-in-my-pocket. All you have to do is pre-heat the oven to 200°C and pop it in for about 15 minutes. I like mine crispy, so I bake it for 18 minutes. When it’s done, just add the sauces that it came with – turmeric and ginger hummus, and chermoula – and voila! Dinner is served.
The wise ladies from Proe.deli also suggested I add some fresh coriander and yoghurt. And so I did!
Now, I’m getting to the good stuff. Literally. Once I added the extras, it was time to feast. The kitchen smelled great and I was excited to taste it.
I tried the Moroccan lamb and chicken flavours, and I absolutely loved how the flavours married. I could taste every flavour separately and it works so well together. And the roasted butternut and dukkah round it off nicely. The Proe.deli team definitely knows how to build a Mediterranean flavour bomb.
It’s amazing to be able to enjoy something of chef-quality in the comfort of my home while being a lazy cook.
GET IT AT
You too can enjoy this flavourful, easy cooking by visiting Proe.deli at the Hazel Food Market every Saturday or the Midstream Superspar. Follow them on Facebook and Instagram to see their latest specials.
Now, go on. Go get yourself some freezer-friendly flatbreads. All the cool kids are doing it.